Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Tax Day, The Sequel

OK, so yesterday I met with the tax preparer.  I had all my paperwork in a gallon size freezer bag.  I figured since I didn't know this person at all...I might as well be transparent.

Right away the receptionist tells me my "Billie" who has been doing my taxes for over 10 years is in ICU!  Ok, now I feel bad about wanting to start her IV so she could do my taxes.  They asked if I wanted to sign a big card for her and...of course I did.  I asked if she was taking any visitors and they said yes but it is restricted.  Today I will find out if I can see her.  I am not sure it is a good thing since I will be working and may start crying.  But, when someone has been an important part of orgainzing your life you need to take a moment and be there for them.

The new person was pleasant, efficient and didn't even blink when I put my clear gallon size freezer bag on the desk.  The process was fairly painless but the outcome...well it always takes my breath away.  To live a decent life, debtless, means you will pay every April 15th.  Such a burn, but at the same time I have to look at the fact that we both have great careers, we live comfortably, we are not in debt and we can pay our taxes...even though it means we won't be going on a cruise to someplace warm.

Our vacations this year will be to Portland but hey, everyone we love is in Portland!  And so another tax year is done for us and although we had a couple of gin and tonics with dinner...we are ready to start the cycle over again...the bottom line...I love my country, I love my career, I love my family, I love where I live...so what else is there?

No comments: