Friday, March 5, 2010

Humble Pie

There have been times where I have been in a situation where I have told the person I am with that, humilty is a good thing.  I think the world has a way of eventually balancing out life and those with a little bit of humility don't feel the shift quite as sharply.

Most of my working life has been at the side of physicians.  In my opinion they have one of the hardest professions.  To look at each individual human being...figure out what ails them...process the information and come up with the best solution.  Doing this while they themselves have spouses who need them, children who are challenging them and keeping up with the ever changing world of medicine.

What I do think would help them is a slice of humble pie.  I have noticed that most don't eat humble pie.  They think that they have found the recipe, mixed the ingredients, bake it...and thus do not need to eat a slice.

When you eat a slice of humble pie each day, it gives you a different view of the people you meet.  Humble pie makes your hearing more acute.  Your heart is more loving and those around you can tell you have had your slice of pie.

Those who chose not to ever eat a slice of humble pie, can't hear what you are saying (because they are always right), they walk and carry their bodies so as to keep a boundary line around their hearts and brains.  When they make a mistake they fall the hardest and usually try to blame someone else, the nurse, they system, the health care industry....yada yada yada.

I try to share my pie with whoever I work with...it taste good and it makes you a better nurse.

No comments: