Sunday, March 7, 2010

Black Horse Saloon

Last night was a interesting step into a life that is not familiar to me.  One of my best friends got a "bee in her bonnet"...yes we are old enough to say that and understand it's meaning.  Robin decided she had never been to the Black Horse Saloon and there were a couple of country music singers performing there...and she really wanted to go.  She looks left, she looks right and she looks behind her...and who should always have her back...Lori and I.  I drug out my consent for a week...Lori tried to get a cold...but there we were not only sitting in the black horse but eating there also. 

Although I can't say it was the best time I ever had, it did give me some great people watching and I realized that as a human being...it is really hard to give up on your judgements.  Thus I learned that there really is an argument for infertility. 


The week before she was trying to convince me that The Black Horse Saloon was a restaurant.  Well, I know and every one else we know...gets, that it is a bar.  The interesting part is that this bar has morphed.  I remember that for years the Black Horse was a biker bar and although there are remnants of biker memorabilia...I acutally only saw 3 people who would qualify as bikers.  2 of them had long grey ponytails and were older than dirt.  The rest were a hodge podge of humanity.  A majority were in our age group 50-60 yrs.  Then a small sample of the 40 year old group and a little larger portion were the 20-30 year olds.  Scattered amoungst the rest were only a handful of 70+ single males...as in I showed up by myself to find someone who will take care of me and I left my hearing aids at home so I wouldn't have to listen to the noise.

I am not a country western fan.  That's in, I am not a country western fan period.  My girlfriends tell me that it's because I was never raised country.  I am totally Ferigilicious!  LOL  It appears that the Black Horse is no longer a biker bar but a country bar, a skater bar and a brew pub all rolled into one.  Microbrew on tap and long skateboard on the wall and when a guy walked by with a spiked up mohawk...I think the economy has forced the biker bar to diversify.  Being a restless type I had to get up and move around, partake in some enjoyable people watching...and boy did I get to watch some peeps.

There was the couple who really...just needed to go to the Rainbow Motel.  There was the girl with the very fake breasts who was stalking a new wallet and found one...saw her leave with a cowboy in tow.  Bad hair day people, lots of regular couples like Greg and I...oh yeah, although Greg was invited he stayed home and lucky for him...not his style.  There was an elderly couple who looked like they were dressed for church. Lots of people who looked like they had been eating too much bar food, weight watchers here I come.  People playing pool on what looked like midget pool tables...video poker, which I tried and lost 2 bucks and so I kicked the machine...I was being channeled by a biker chick and what really made me think that this is not a place for me...the menu, although listing 2 desserts does not serve any dessert, of any kind...no ice cream...if you want something sweet they have two of those old time candy machines where you put in a quarter, hold your hand  below the opening and a handfull of M&M's roll out.

So, what did I learn about my adventure to a bar?  I really love my girlfriends and would do anything for them.  There are things in this world still to experience.  I can feel discomfort and should occasionally.  I still don't like country music.  This definately is not a place for a woman to look for her life mate. Just because you think it's a biker bar, it may not be.  Some clothing should not be worn by women our age.  Video poker is a total waste of $2.  Never go to a bar that won't give you ice cream.  I am married to the most wonderful man on the earth! 

Overall I had an interesting time and although The Black Horse Saloon was not on my life list, I can cross it off.

No comments: