Wednesday, February 10, 2010

My Name is Annie and I'm A Fabric Hoarder...

Yesterday on my day off I layers and quilted a beautiful table runner.  The entire time I felt crowded...why?...cause of the piles of stuff lying around my quilt room and the 5 bags of fabric that I purchased that do not have a location yet.  Later in the day I decided to start orgainizing and I realized that I didn't have a place to put the fabric unless I emptied a drawer. The task was to find a drawer which didn't have fabric already stuffed inside.

Voila!  I found one...it had what looked like a small pile of papers, on strip of binding, a package of shavers (don't ask me why, I haven't a clue), a paint kit for my car (should it ever get a ding) and 27 empty plastic bags from quilt stores!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why would I save those bags...and how long have I been saving them...are they there because my evil quilt twin knew someday I'd actually look at them and go...holy @#$%^ WTF???

So I went on line and looked for articles on hoarding...not so fun diagnosis to have...but for my quilting friends out there I have paraphrased an article just to fit us crazies...

In a July 2007 study in the British journal Behaviour Research and Therapy, 10 compulsive fabric hoarders underwent cognitive behavioral therapy, which included 26 individual sessions and frequent home visits. Following seven to 12 months of treatment, 50 percent had “very much improved” when it came to classic fabric hoarding behaviors like the clutter, excessive acquisition of fabric and rulers and the inability to discard the bags they came in.


These new findings hold promise not just for hoarders but for exasperated friends and family members who are both baffled and burdened by their loved ones’ compulsions to stockpile fabric, quilt magazines, rulers, plastic sacks full of unused fabric, and even small pieces of batting. 

Compulsive hoarders are different from die-hard collectors or “clutter bugs” in that they can’t stop acquiring things nor can they make themselves throw anything away,including little triangles of fabric, pieces of batting or quilt magazines and books.

So with this cutting edge research I am going to spend my next day off orgainzing my quilt room but today I am heading to work...wonder if I need to stop at the quilt store on the way home???

1 comment:

Lil' Red said...

Not that I want to promote hoarding.....but if you want to organize all that fabric, I got a a label maker that is dying to be used!!!!!