Thursday, February 18, 2010

Annie's Sweat Shop

I swear I have to laugh out loud at myself sometimes.  My brain is an interesting and complex playground that even gives me pause.  Once it kicks into some idea and decides that this is what I want to do...the brain makes it happen. 

If I decide to take up running, I run a marathon.  If I want to play the piano, I play one on stage.  If I want to be in a play, I sing and do 8 performances.  Weird brain.  Sometimes I think it may want to take over the world...hahahaha.  It is the Jones in me.  That piece that can create something out of mud.  Then, when you add a sprinkle of Kim...you think you can conquer the free world.

2010 I had decided was my year to fly below the radar.  Take some time to see what the next chapter will read like.  Try to be in the moment. yada, yada, yada.

Just so you can understand what I am up against...my brain has been nagging me to go up to the college and sign up for algebra classes???  Is that not weird?  My more normal side says things like...there are lots of people having a hard time registering for classes because they are so full...and you're going to go up and take up a space because brainiac wants too???  I am not sure who will win this battle...I will keep you posted.

As a distraction to what is playing out in my brain I cleaned my sewing room and started sewing.  Not just started sewing but in the last 5 days have completed more than I did in all of 2009!  Brainiac has set up a virtual sweat shop and I am churning out stuff left and right. 

Don't get me wrong, me an brainiac...ying and yang...mutt and jeff...fons and porter...wonder what the solution is to 5(-3x - 2) - (x - 3) = -4(4x + 5) + 13?

1 comment:

Anna said...

From Connor...

The answer to your algebra problem is -1
5 * ((-3 * -1) - 2) - (-1 - 3) = -4 * ((4 * -1) + 5) +13

Start with the left side, with the first operation.
5 * (3 - 2) - (-1 - 3) a negative times a negative is a positive so -1 * -3 = 3
work the parentheses next
3 - 2 = 1
-1 - 3 = -4
multiplication next
5*1 = 1
then finish it
5 - -4 = 9 (subtracting a negative is the same as adding a positive)
So the left side = 9

the right side next.
4 * -1 = -4
-4 + 5 = 1
-4 * 1 = -4
-4 + 13 = 9

9 = 9
You're done!
It took guess and checking to figure out it was -1... just try random low numbers until it works.