Tuesday, December 1, 2009

My Running Muscle


I found my running muscle. In the vein of Dr. Suess...

 I discovered,
it wasn't in my butt
it wasn't in my in my legs
it wasn't in my gut
even when I ate 2 green eggs.

I found out this week that it was what lie between 2 ears.

I was inspired by an email I received from the Portland Marathon telling me that in 2010 they would have for the first time a half marathon.  Having run the full in 2005 I know what that means in time investment and my body.  But, a half...now that is like music to my ears. 

I accept that there are issues with training, the biggest has to do with my childhood.  I spent that time always a block behind my mother.  She had little motorized toes and never walked with you...and I imagined that she gave me looks of distain over my inability to be as fast as her.  For whatever childhood twisted logic I began to think I was slow and I became ashamed at my slowness.  So, when I tackled training for the marathon, I had to do it alone.  I could not fathom running and keeping my shameful voice in check.  I rarely ran with another person...although I did work with a nurse who mentored me through the process and was so kind in her encouragement...and when I did run with her, although worried...I ran.

Here I am.  I started training on Sunday.  Monday latic acid arrived and my thigh were sore.  Even though I have a fairly decent workout schedule.  It made me realize AGAIN...there is nothing like running.  Monday after work went for a short run, sore but feeling good.  Today I have already gone spinning and will go out running later this morning.  I discovered this morning...my running muscle.  It is a spot in my brain that literally gets euphoric when I run.  It makes me want to keep running.  It makes me like Republicans. 

The other difference in this training program...ENZO. I now have a training partner for each and every run.  Although he is in better shape.  He has no judgement.  He doesn't care how fast or slow I go as long as I am beside him.  As he walks and I jog, he looks happy and I feel no shame at holding him back.  He loves runners.  As we head down the trail he will see someone ahead and start prancing...Look at us we are training! 

1 comment:

Lil' Red said...

Go Anna! I might try to find my running muscle ... someday.
Not ready for a full, but I'll do a half sometime.

Have fun w/ your Enzo!