Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Anna's #1 Rule The Week After Christmas


I don't know why it is part of my year end ritual, but I must...MUST...have my Christmas decor put away before the New Year starts.  I am not sure why this became a necessity but it has been part of my year end process for as long as I can remember.

My sister on the other hand leaves her tree and decorations up till the around January 6th...the Feast of the Magi.  I used to get depressed when I would see her tree, all dried up, wanting to be put out of it's misery.

There have been years where the day after Christmas the decor was already stored away.  The actual day I would set aside to put everything away was determined by my work schedule.  This year...at 0330 in the morning my brain started calculating when I could complete the task.  I work Wed. and Thurs.  and Thurs. is New Years Eve...so it had to be today, my only day off before the new year. 

There is a feeling that I can't "start over" if there are pieces of last year still lying around.  I can actually feel a weight being lifted as I tuck the last treasured piece of holiday in it's box, to be delightfully discovered next year.  I can look around my home and although it is Dec. 29th I feel ready...stronger...alert...the "possibility" is ready to happen because we have tucked Christmas 2009 in a safe memory.

No comments: