Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Approaching Normal


I heard the phrase "approaching normal" and it struck a cord.  The holidays puts life into an abnormal phase...at least for most people.  We all know it starts earlier and earlier each year.  September rolls around and the kids are back in school...and you can already feel it...just a tickle...a little crispness in the air and you start getting abnormal.

Then one day you walk into Costco in October and all the Christmas stuff is set up and ready for purchase. You can barely enjoy Thanksgiving because Christmas is just a few short weeks away...and the abnormal pace is in full swing.

How to fit all the expectations and requirements needed to be prepared for one day. 

This year I approached December differently. Deciding that I was going to let it unfold at it's own pace.  I decided to enjoy every moment I "chose" to enjoy. The weird thing was that once I took this stance it came slowly.  I wasn't in the mood in November to even think about it...so I didn't.  I wanted to enjoy all the segments of the holiday...and the amazing thing is, I have.  From baking cookies, planning a gathering, shopping for just that perfect item, decorating my little tree, sending out Christmas cards, dressing up my dog, wrapping presents...each and every thing I did was enjoyable...I only participated in those events that have brought me joy.  I made my holiday donations with a sense of truly giving with the help of a co-worker who orgainized the donations.  I thought about each and every person who I bought a present for, staying within my budget but being mindful of the reciever. 

Here it is December 16th and I am "approaching normal" and normal feels happy.

No comments: