Sunday, December 13, 2009

Roller Derby


I went with my cousin Kathy and our girlfriends to my very first roller derby match.  It was so much more and so much less than I had expected...and I had a blast.

The whole event was such a rich metaphor for life in general.  The 2 teams skating against each other were the Lava City Roller Dolls and the a team from Coos Bay.  First of all I was pleasantly surprised that the women were real...in the sense of...regular gals.  All shapes and sizes, a variety of backgrounds...nurse, midwife, teachers, trainers, wives, mothers...you get it...just like me.  They wore their roller derby attire with assertive pride rather than embarrassment.  The 2 teams jostled and knocked each other down, but it was all in good fun.  No fighting, but encouragment to each other.  There were great skaters and not so great skaters. No matter how many times an individual fell...she got back up and kept on going.

What a message of perserverence, no matter the odds.

The crowd was as interesting as the skater...well almost, some of those outfits were stretched beyond reason.  Cheering the skaters on were grandparents, parents, children, husbands, friends, people on date night and sponsers.  We cheered for both teams when a grand skating move was achieved.  I had so much fun that the next bout in Feb. is on my list of things to enjoy!


No comments: