Sunday, December 20, 2009

I No Longer Can Run With The Big Dogs


I found out this weekend I can no longer run with the big dogs...what I mean is that my late night party days come at a price.  There were little signs over the last few years...falling asleep before the ball dropped in Time Square, not being able to stay up and watch the biggest meteor shower of the year...I hate missing fun.

When I was a little girl I drove my dad nuts.  I always wanted to be the last one up, so I wouldn't miss a thing.  As I moved into my teen years I routinely would be up reading or taking a shower at midnight.  My dad would joke that the reason they had couldn't have any more children after me was because my mother refused to have sex with him while I was still awake walking around the house.  Back then most homes had one bathroom and quarters were tight.  College years...I skipped sleeping, sometimes going a couple of days without sleep...maybe in a daze...but no sleep.  Young married life brought late romantic nights.  The baby years...no sleep, one or both of us would be up...especially if you had a baby who like you, didn't want to sleep.  Then arrived the years where you worked opposite each other to take care of the kids...night shift...Here was where I started to see the crack in my ability to live without sleep.

Just when you realize you don't have the stamina to function without sleep, you have a teenager.  I believe I was in a fugue state during those years...although I did gain spidey sense.

The real crime is that now that there are no finals to study for, no 24 hour sex romps, no babies to take care of, no night shifts and no teenagers trying to sneak in quietly...you lack the ability to parteeeea.  Two nights of after midnight bed times and I feel like I am surviving the "Days of Wine and Roses."

Can't run with the big dogs...I am just one pooped little puppy.

No comments: