Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Squirrels From The Inside Out...hummm


My sister has no love loss for squirrels after one used her new patio umbrella for nesting material.  I have also lost stuffing from patio furniture and my deck at times looks like a pine cone war zone after a day of feeding in the trees above.

But yesterday as I was walking Enzo and he became very interested in something on my front lawn...I paused...of course after yelling at him to get back!

Squirrel guts.  A nice little pile of stomach, entrails and tuffs of fur.  I have lived here a while and have never seen such a site.  The squirrels around here are fast, tough and give me sass regularly.  They eat my bird food without a morsel of guilt...and if I interrupt their gorging they talk back and bang their little tiny fists at me!

The big mystery is what the hell ate the squirrel...lions and tigers and bears...oh my!  So I went on the internet and research, coyotes, hawks, eagles...and cats.  The hawks and eagles would not eat on the ground, the coyotes are just roving garbage disposals...leaving little behind.  But the cat, now this animal loves to hunt, eat and leave a present behind.  We have a wild feral cat in the neighborhood who has survived several years on the golf course.  I don't know if it is a he or she but it is yellow and white, docked tail and huge.  I'll call her a "she"...she won't let you get near her but has dodged the coyote bullet that takes every domestic cat in the neighborhood and the winter weather has done her no harm because of her huge body and thick fur.

I think the putty cat ate the squirrel! 

All I can say is, "here kitty, kitty...what a sweet kitty." OK, I did feel a little tiny bit of remorse for the squirrel...but was that a little bit of patio chair stuffing I see in that pile???  What goes around comes around...even in the squirrel world.

No comments: