Sunday, October 11, 2009

Sometimes, It's The Little Things...


I did it!  I baked something from scratch and it turned out!  Cooking and baking have been one of those challenges in life I thought I would never enjoy.  Sure we all have our gifts, but I really wanted to figure this one out.  My dear sister's gifts were in this catagory along with entertaining and making you feel welcomed in her home. 

Over the last few years the cooking shows have grown into a full out network devoted to this gift or challenge depending on your outlook.  Sometimes I would watch...but it only made me feel inadequate...I hate that feeling.  I would try again and find out it is not as easy as they make it look on TV.

Lucky for me I have family and friends who can laugh and still eat what my latest disaster might be...ask the bookclub members about the cake they had to eat with a spoon (it is amazing what whip cream can do).

I have grown more confident, although experimentation is a dirty word and will always result in disaster for me.

Today is family breakfast and I decided to bring the scones.  Having been recently taught by my sister the fine art of scones I had less trepidation about the outcome, but still...there has been food on my ceiling before...I didn't want to be tooooo cocky.

Voila!  Of course Greg and I had to do a taste test so no one in my extended family would gag and cough up a scone ball...and they were perfect!  Sometimes, it is the little things in life that make you feel good about yourself.

No comments: