Monday, October 12, 2009

Hunger


Hunger.  Many people have different ways to deal with the stress in their lives.  I know mine is to eat.  If I took the time to ask myself before I ate or drank anything, if I was really hungry...most often the answer would be NO.

I am not a binge eater...like this shark, I am a grazer...moving forward, never letting myself actually feel hunger.  So many of my habits are just what they are...habits.  Do I need a latte when I am in the car? Even non fat, sugar free it is still at least 100 extra calories.  Do I need that cocktail or wine after work...even low cal it adds another 100-200 calories. 

I eat healthy foods...just too much and I have let myself down.  Putting my excercise a little lower on the priority list.  My dad died at 49, sure he smoked, drank and ate high fat foods and workout was not a word in his generation's vocabularly.  But I know better.  I know what the outcome of his choices were.

The first time I realized that I am more than my genetic history it was because of my oldest son.  Now, my younger son has encouraged me to start planning for the Portland Marathon 2010.  I've got a year to work towards that goal and more importantly I want my life to be long, healthy and to feel good about myself.  I want to have the energy to keep up with my grandchildren and to help take care of them.

The hunger I feel...is it food or something else I want...that is the question I will answer before I take that first bite.

No comments: