Monday, September 7, 2009

Happy Labor Day


I am celebrating Labor Day.  I was given a choice of working, taking a day off using vacation pay or taking a day off without pay.  I chose a day off without pay.  This might seem a weird choice.  What I did know, when given the choice I wanted this day to be like no other.  I didn't want it to be a vacation day but to focus on the gifts of labor or for a large segment of the county the lack of labor.  I wanted to pay attention to the need for a frugal mindset, that money doesn't grow on trees.  In the past we spent what we earned, I hated to deprive my children of a comfortable life.  Although we provided an opportunity to experience the good life, we did not spoil our children because we came from people who had worked hard and lost everything and worked hard again...this time smarter and with a clearer view of what it means..."the good life."


You read the business headlines and "the economy is starting to turn around."  Sure we need some good news but the reality is...it will take years for us to recover from this economic blunder.  Unemployment is higher than it has ever been, homelessness is more infectious than the swine flu and we need to readjust our view on labor. 


If as a culture we can realize that how we live...true to ourselves, is more important than what other's think we have...especially, if what you have is really not yours until you make the 24 months of payments with interest.  Then we can be proud of how we live our lives.  Then we can celebrate Labor Day knowing our work is authentic.

No comments: