Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Fruit of the Loom

When I say fruit of the loom, I'm not talking underwear!  This summer I took on the unheard of task of growing a vegetable.  Between all the trees and the deer, my neighborhood doesn't do vegetable gardens and even flowers are a daunting task. 
This year, I felt like giving it a try. I bought a small squash plant at the grocery store and stuck it in a pot on my deck.  With the uncommon wet spring and warm summer, lots of plants grew well...including my little 4" squash plant!
There lay within me the soul of a farmer.  I never used to be "good" with plants, indoor or out.  But, I decided to rewrite the script of my life and start believing I had a green thumb.  Lo' and behold I have several thriving indoor plants.  As you can see, my leap into raising a vegatable was also successful.
This year I grew squash, I dried fruits and I canned jam.
What does all this say to my soul...you are who you want to be.  The messages I grew up with...you are a procrastinator, you can't cook, anything green dies in your care, you can't sing...they played over and over in my brain and when I listen, they are the truth.  The real truth, is that it is old script and I am going to rewrite the script that I want to live my life by...
1.  You are not a procrastinator (kicked this one to the curb a while ago)
2.  You have a green thumb (done...have lots of plants who love me)
3.  You like to sing (I have on stage in front of hundreds of people)
4.  You are a good cook (no one has thrown up)
5.  Your beautiful, inside and out (Greg thinks so even if Vogue does not)
This year I am going to put away another script...you can't bake.  Watch out, I'm bringing baked goods to potlucks. 

No comments: