Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Teacher, teacher...pick me, pick meeeee

I have loved teachers and hated teachers. I have had teachers who were kind and those that were cruel. Over the years I have taught a variety of subjects, guitar, soap making, peanut brittle making, needle point, how to deliver a baby, many computer programs and quilting to students around the world.

As a parent I have taught how to brush your teeth, how to clean your face, how to organize your toys (over and over again), best way to prepare for a test, how to make cookies, how to make hard boiled eggs...LOL...how to manage money, how to be kind...

there was only one thing that I was never able to master how to teach...teaching a teenage boy to drive!

What I have learned over my years of teaching is that if a student fails, most often it is the teachers problem. Sure the student has to have a willingness to learn and the drive to keep pushing...but a teacher has to figure out what motivates each student, as they are all entirely different. Kindness, grace and peacefulness are needed ingredients that will help a student learn. If you lose the student at the beginning because they feel "dumb" or "too old to learn" it will take longer for them to learn. But truly the number one trait of a great teacher is "Humility," it is that trait that reminds you of your own history and then you are able to give grace.

No comments: