Tuesday, February 3, 2009

I Draw the Line!

Every time you go into Starbucks you see several specialty coffee makers....duh. If you go to any independent coffee house you see none. Obviously someone higher up in Starbucks hasn't a clue that people go to the coffee house so someone else will make the coffee. In my quest to try and spend local I have switched coffee places.

I totally understand the Latte factor of how much a person spends per month buying coffee out and because of this knowledge I only indulge occasionally. But, when I do, I want someone else to make the coffee. I do not want to learn how to make specialty coffees at home, nor do I want to buy an expensive coffee maker. I actually saw one demoed in Sur Le Table in Portland that cost $8000...you heard me....$8000, yes the coffee was exquisite but just not worth the $8000. I'd rather have a hot tub and have a barista make my coffee.

A great cup of coffee is meant to be enjoyed as an event, nice atmosphere, people talking, friends laughing...not at home. If you took the time to learn and spent the money on a great coffee maker then the coffee would lose it surprise. It would be so...every day. My favorite places are Simply Organic on Arizona St. and Back Porch on Newport...great coffee. With all the conversation going on around you...it makes you feel alive. Having coffee out is so much more than just the cup of coffee, it is an event.

That is why I draw the line...ordering a skinny almond latte...16 oz please...oh, with a cranberry biscotti...is up there with letting a professional cut your hair...I refuse to do that at home, no matter how broke I am!

No comments: