Thursday, February 19, 2009

Rubber Necker

I was talking with a coworker yesterday who said she needed to stop watching the news because it was all depressing.

Although I don't watch the news I do spend a good chunk of time reading the paper and Internet news. It is depressing, but so hard to stop. Although I do not consider myself a rubber necker...one of those people who slow down to take a good hard look at someone else's misfortune. I do take a peripheral view as I drive by, which may not be a total rubber neck but for sure, is a peek.

After yesterday's news which was worse than the day before, which was worse than the day before that...and so on and so on...I realized that my peeks had turned into full blown "news" rubber necking.

Greg said this morning that I should only focus on those things in my own life that I can change and have control over...and pass on the rest. Sounds like a plan...I just have to get passed the maternal worry of what the world will be like for my children, for my friends, for my neighbors, for my boss, for my employer, for my banker, for my grocer, for my gym, for my community, for my town, for my state, for my country.....whew....oh yeah, back to only what I can control...I got it, keeping my self healthy, my bills paid, and finding ways to enjoy my time will eventually have an effect on the rest.

No comments: