Sunday, January 4, 2009

Rehabilitating...

That is the buzz word for 2009...how to rehabilitate our lives, get our hope back and move forward. The newspaper is filled with articles about economic hardship right along side articles about hope for an economic recovery. It is interesting that no matter what the article is professing, they always have a line about getting back to basic and what really matters....home, family, security and love.

It is somewhat frustrating that we in America have so much and yet with the a bump in the road we have to be reminded how good we have it! If there is one thing I wish for 2009 (besides dropping a few pounds) it would be that people would take responsibility for their choices. If I didn't have a job, I would hold a sign on the corner if I had too...I respect that person...who stands in the freezing cold holding a sign.

Yesterday, I had a conversation with an acquaintance who's relative was a patient in the hospital. She related a story about the care her relative received and how the nurse was pressured to leave mid care because no overtime was allowed. Her relative laid for 30 min. exposed waiting for change of shift to finish so the care could be finished. My view...I feel as bad for the manager as the nurse because they are getting constant pressure to save money...but it is the patient who is suffering in the end. So what to do during this time...get down to basics, focus on providing emotional care to the patient along with the physical care. This climate is not going to go away overnight so rather than get angry, get planning how to live true to your moral code. We have better health care than a good part of the world, not as good as some parts, but what I know is I would rather be here hospitalized than any other country.

I guess I am tired of the negative that came out of 2008 and maybe it is that my parent's life experience give me more "cup half full" perspective but for me 2009 emotionally will be the same as it has always been....I have always been grateful for the family, love, health and choices we make...it is no different than it has always been....I did not need an economic downturn to remind me, I always have known it in my heart.

No comments: