Saturday, January 24, 2009

First Edition

I have decided to every so often blog about several topics, in the same blog. My own newspaper of sorts. Not a regularly scheduled paper but what I have found is that every so often I am moved by several articles, topics or thoughts and I just want to discuss them all! So this is the first edition of Annie's Newspaper.

The Pope gets own YouTube channel.

What a hoot! My family has a variety of religious affiliations, including Catholicism. Greg signed a paper the day we married in the catholic church to raise our children within that religion. Neither of us has any regrets. It provided a valuable structure within which to teach about humanity, justice and morality. I also loved the weekly space to meditate. In recent years I became disillusioned with the dogma of the current bishop and it seemed to me, at least in Deschutes County we were heading backwards. I thus stop attending mass and took my name off the "mail me a donation" list. For a 2,000 year old religion, set in their concrete dogma to establish a YouTube site....well is shows promise.

Happy Land.

George Economou, a Greek shipping magnate in reflecting on the state of the economy said, "We have all been living in happy land, spending what we did not have...It was a fantasy world." I want a last name like Economou....I might have more money with that name.

Portland Mayor is expected to decide soon on resignation.

Well, for all those bigots out there that said homosexuals were an abomination, the Portland mayor proves he is just like all the other heterosexual politicians. So maybe it is not heterosexual vs. homosexuality but in fact it is much tougher to keep it tucked in it's little jock strap when you are a politician. Power seems to be the aphrodisiac.

Credit Cards.

I read an article about a study done on credit card possession. They (it is always a they...who the hell is they???) said that statistically people who have credit cards even if they pay the balance off each month and carry no debt, spend more impulsively and spend more. Suzi Orman said using a credit card is being dishonest to yourself. If you have the cash, pay by cash. I know in this day and age there is a necessity to having at least credit one credit card. Heck you can't stay in a hotel without one (I tried to pay cash once...no can do...except if you stay in a hotel that rents by the hour). So, Greg and I have decided to cancel our cards and see how much money and how our spending changes over the next 6 months.

Have a great Saturday!

No comments: