Wednesday, January 21, 2009

King Of The Road

It is funny how the human brain works...or maybe it is just my weird brain. Greg and I were heading back from the gym this morning at around 6 am. Hwy 97 was still deserted and as we traveled north on the empty highway I started wondering, what was the title of that old song...the one they used in cigarette ads...the one that has something to do with roads. Greg said, "King of the Road." Then he asked me if I was a Roger Miller fan...Roger who??? Everyday life stimulates a long lost memory. Well, Greg knew a lot about "King of the Road." (he could be on Jeopardy, then I wouldn't have to work!) He said Roger Miller wrote the lyrics when stuck in a roadside motel in Boise, Idaho, didn't have a job and was watching the people travel by.

After yesterday inaugural speech (watched it twice and read it once) I bet there were a lot of people who could envision themselves in homes, working and enjoying life with a little less dread. Kings and Queens of their own domain. No longer living the lyrics of "King of the Road."

Old worn out suits and shoes,
I don't pay no union dues,
I smoke old stogies I have found Short, but not too big around
I'm a man of means by no means
King of the road.

PS. by the way if you weren't up by 7 am you missed the most gorgeous sunrise!

No comments: