Tuesday, January 20, 2009

It's A Wonderful Day In The Neighborhood

I was going to spend a little time talking about Mr. Roger's but that will have to wait for another day. Watching the Inaugural ceremony has made me overwhelmed with emotion over the change in my life time. I had to call my mom.

Even though we have stood on opposite sides of the party lines, in speaking today we are united in what this means to us and the nation. My mom votes with how it affects her financial bottom line, but even she is happy today. When she was getting married no one would stand up as witness to her marriage because it was considered biracial. The only person who would take this task was Henry, a black man...back then, a negro...who was a friend of my dad's. When I was young and my parents bought their first house, all the neighbor's had to sign a paper saying it was OK for us to live on their street, because we were considered an interracial family. My mother moved by desire to help her family, studied and became the first minority realtor and much to the town's dismay sold the first house to a black family.

So, it is with a gratefulness that I witness the inauguration of our 44th president, who not only gives us hope, but represents the growing pains and changes that have occurred in America. Our first African American President who is the president for US ALL!

No comments: