Sunday, January 18, 2009

Moving In, Moving Out

The statistics are that there are a moderately larger number of people who are moving in to the wonderful town of Bend, than moving out. These are based on stats from 3 of the larger moving companies, not including U-Haul because most of their stats are people moving around town.

I do wonder though if you would get a different demographic picture if you were able to include U-Haul's stats, because I don't know about you, but not everyone can afford a moving company. I suspect a lot of people who are moving out of Bend would use U-Haul because they have lost a job and can't afford to have someone else move them. Personally, I have moved a lot and have never used a moving company and have always used a pick up truck and U-Haul.

The moving in, moving out story was timely because last week when I was standing in line at Bend Broad Band contemplating slashing my cable bill, someone called my name. A woman I was acquainted with 3-4 years ago that belonged to a quilt group I attended. I had heard that she had moved on since remarrying, so was surprised to see her. When I told her I was surprised to see her and thought she had moved away, she said that they can't move until they sell their house which had been on the market 2+years. Must be tough to stay in a town that you want to be out of....

My thoughts then traveled through my brain about what it means to stay...or to have to stay...Americans are such nomads. Especially in the west. We move and seek greener pastures. We get new jobs, new friends, new homes and leave behind family. Our history becomes more historic. With the last move we made, we got stuck...in a good way...we love our town, we love being employed and we created history for our children. We have developed a familiarity that comes from moving in and staying. Our friends have become our family and our long history gives us a sense of family. Through a stroke of providence a family member moves to town with his family and suddenly there is a real sense of home.

What I know is sometimes moving in and settling...really committing to a place...brings security and peace of our own chosing.

No comments: