Thursday, January 7, 2010

The Wedding Planners


I had one of those "light bulb" moments yesterday.  It is an automatic understanding that the mother of the groom is somewhat on the edge of planning.  Much to my delight because I am living in the town where the marriage is to take place I have been having a blast.  Not wanting to take all the delight away from the out of town planners, but what luck...me...here...oh so sorry you can't be here...and I really am sorry.  I wish Sarah's mother and I could be like two mommies, running around rubbing our hands together saying...YES, YES...we'll take all of it!

But, back to the "light bulb" moment.  Women left to their own devices can make the wedding planning process longer, more expensive and more emotional than it has to be.  If you could step back and take a moment to visualize this picture.  Myself, my Male cousin and my cousin's uncle...me, with Franck 1 and Franck 2 meeting with the venue coordinator.  If you ever saw Father of the Bride with Martin Short you will get it.  Now Franck 1 has been an event coordinator in the past.  Franck 2, good with numbers...there to provide comic relief and eyebrow raising.  As the venue planner provided us with choices and prices, my mind is reeling.  Franck 1 has his paper and pen poised to write, ask the appropriate questions and give advice.  Franck 2, keeps a running tab in his head, raises his eyebrows to the occassional outrageous cost...although, you could see once in a while his face get that glazed look as he thought of his own future...father to 3 brides.

I literally could not have done it in an hour and a half...you heard me!  An hour and a half, venue chosen. Setting for the marriage ceremony.  Setting for the reception location, including what kinds of linens, table setting, food, libations, logistics of food delivery, cake delivery, flowers, guest arrival, dancing, cake and coffee service...I think we have got it all wrong...Father's should plan their daughters weddings.  It wouldn't take over a year to plan a wedding.  They would be less emotional and more practical...they would not have felt that pull to pay $700 for tule to be draped all over...luckily I had Franck1 and 2 with me to keep me real...so no tule!

I believe the venue planner enjoyed the interaction...how many times has she had 2 guys show up to help plan a wedding...Franck 1 and Franck 2...besides Franck 2 looks like Hugh Grant...the distraction was a win-win for us all!

No comments: