Saturday, January 16, 2010

It's My Money I Can Do What I Want Too....


I have always been flexible about who and what and where my financial donations go.  There has been a lot of thought through the years and where my money ends up reflects my own life transition.

Greg is a United Way donator and a big tipper.  I consider tipping a donation of sorts also.  I know that those who pump our gas, serve our meals or make a great cup of coffee are usually making minimum wage.  I appreciate the face that they are working for the man, trying to meet a living responsibility...so giving the guy a tip who pumps my gas...makes me feel like I am putting my money in the hands of someone who is trying.

Now for me, donations is not as simple as Greg's.  I move money around based on my heart and where my brain is focused.  Once in a great while I will give money to a person on the street asking for money...but not very often.  When I was a church going gal, I donated on a weekly basis...cash only...never in those pretty envelopes.  I have sent money to the retirement fund for the Franciscian Brothers...love them...but not any more...might be used by the bishop to build his big a** church or pay off his lawsuits.

I love donations that are of a personal nature.  Ones I know where the outcome lands.  I like knowing that what I donated actually ended up exactly where I intended it to be.  I like donating anonymously.  I do not care for pats on the back or recognition...I do not like the feeling whoever I donated too should feel grateful too me...I prefer they never know where it came from.

On the other hand I have been mulling over my regular donations.  I do not attend church, do not send money to the retirement fund of the Franciscans and do not have auto deduct for United Way...so where do I want to donate on a regular basis???

This year I chose the International Response Fund of the Red Cross and Central Asia Institute that build schools for girls in Afghanistan (read, Three Cups of Tea).  Both have a history of tangible use of donated money...and now that they are listed on my "on line bill pay" it will be good reminder that the world is woven from one cloth and what happens to a person on one side will affect those on the other...we must look beyond our own front porch.

No comments: