Saturday, January 2, 2010

Home Axis


I was reading an article in the Friday paper about how the fridge is a canvas of the family home.  It got me thinking about my own fridge and how it has evolved as Greg and I have aged.  So there I was standing in the kitchen taking a photo of the front of our fridge and Greg says that he read an article that talked about the contents of a persons fridge being a reflections of their lives.

We laughed as we opened the door and I took a picture...because we still had some holiday left overs in there...and it was kinda messy...but what the hey.

The front of our fridge has evolved as we have moved through life.  When we were first married there was nothing covering the ugly Harvest Gold fridge.  When our first child was born the magnetic alphabets moved in and moved around our fridge, sometimes acutally making words.  As work and school became a part of our lives the schedule showed up and lived there for many years...and in many different forms.  We spent lots of time trying to find the right schedule board that would actually make us meet all our appointments.  Occassionaly a budget would show up on the front, but that didn't last long.

Now we have a used black fridge.  Not our choice but came with the house...and being frugal we are using it till it sucks the energy out of our bill or dies.  Because we are not bonded to this fridge we have decorated it with our lives.  The "kitchen rules" postcard was given to me by Greg the first year we were married and has been on every fridge we have owned. 

This Kitchen's
Rule of Thumb
*********
When It's Burning...
It's Cooking
When It's Black...
It's done

Added to that are photos of some of my favorite family members.  A post card of the Napa Valley to remind me of my sister.  A letter from Byron.  Magnets that have uplifting sayings. An article about "Nine Lessons From The Garden."  My tattered life list.  A sweet hand made card from Ingre.  My massage therapist business card...the most important business card I have.  On the freezer side are 3 cards given to me from Greg and 1 from Julie, and one bumper sticker from Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville in Vegas..."Milk Sucks, Drink Margaritas."  Also a magnet that says, "Call your mother she worries!"  It is a montage of the things I love in life...but the inside...now that is another matter!

2 bottles of club soda, Lori did not drink enough vodka and club soda!  Fake gravy...yuck...gotta throw that away.  Yogurt 2 kinds, one which I don't like and I am going to throw away.  Home made jam.  Pasta.  Left over cranberry sauce (I made and Greg is using on his waffles...), veggies, cheese, a Sobee, tonic mix,  margarita mix and bread.  I think today I will totally clean out my fridge...you know...the New Year Purge.

Over all, not so bad.  The thing about is, I recommend taking a photo of the front and inside of your fridge...it really is a montage of one's life and you'd be surprised what you learn about yourself.

Oh, and all of Enzo's snacks are on the top where he can't get them!

No comments: