Monday, January 18, 2010

Girlfriends, Amigas, Vriendin, 여자 친구, Amica


I think I can deal with anything if I have girlfriends.  Not just friends but girlfriends.  Not just girlfriends...but GIRLFRIENDS!

There are all kinds of friends but when someone is my girlfriend it takes on a special meaning.  I don't call everyone my girlfriend, sometimes in conversation I will say "this friend of mine" or "that friend of mine."  But when I say..."my girlfriend said this" or "my girlfriend did that" I am talking about a different relationship that is kinship to sister but without the history of childhood.

This past week I had the joy of spending time with an old girlfriend...not old as in..."boy does she look old" but old in that she brings our history to the table.  It is fascinating as only I seem to spend time on...what is going on below the surface.  We both fall right back into our relationship...we bring the past to the present and create another dot in the timeline of our history.  It has a conforting feel...it is like looking up at the night sky and out of the billions of stars you recognize the one that holds your history.

So yesterday I was blessed in a different way.  My "girlfriend" is a soon to be knitting protege and in order for both of us to enjoy the day I took her to the Stitchin' Post.  She could look at yarn and I could "just look" at fabric.  I knew immediately upon arrival that this was dangerous.  As soon as I entered it was a lost cause.  The employees were asking me where my "girlfriends" were...I said that I was with a different girlfriend who is starting to knit.  What happened within a few short minutes was my girlfriends started channeling themselves...I could hear their voices in my head (especially Lori's) and I found myself walking around with a piles of stuff in my hands.

Which brings me too this quote...I can never ever go anywhere without my girlfriends channeling themselves...but the channeling is not as much fun as their physical presence.  But, the channeling made me acknowledge what a strong group of women that I have in my "girlfriend" circle. 

This weekend was a way for my "old" girlfriend and I to "knit and purl" our lives together and for me to again realize how very blessed I am for the women in my life.

No comments: