Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Silence


It has happened.  It happens every year. First the neighbor to the right leaves on an advertureous home exchange with someone in Europe.  Once done, they head to their home in Florida.  They usually leave by November.  Next our neighbor to the left has departed for Mexico.  She usually leaves by Dec. but much to her regret she waited a little too long and left this morning.

It is silent.  Not that our neighborhood is roudy but it seems quieter.  This yearly ritual is something we look forward too...as much as we look forward to their return.  I feel peaceful.  The deer move in bigger herds across our yard and I have more deer poop than dog poop. 

There is something about silence.  Sometimes, I like the loud music that makes me dance around my house...but I also love the silence where the only thing you hear is the hummm of the fridge, an occassional ice cube being launched across the freezer and the funny sounds that Enzo makes when he is running in his sleep.

Silence...it is my winter song.

No comments: