Thursday, January 28, 2010

Can You See My Story???


Woman selling herbs
(photo by Greg Bates)

I continue to be interested, appalled, curious and judgemental about plastic surgery.  There are times that I look in the mirror and I wish I could nip and tuck every wrinkle, suck every fat cell and lift all my body contours...then I see a photo of a woman who makes me realize that if one chooses this path you give up some of your history.

The last time I had my hair done I told the stylist that I didn't want to cover up all the gray...that I liked that it showed because I earned each strand.  We are buried under piles of photos and articles of people in the know...mainly celebrities...who tell us that we need to beat the clock...at least on the outside.  The outside is the most important, it matters not what is going on, in the inside.  I still occassionally will see a photo on the cover of a magazine and think...wow, how beautiful...before my intellectual brain kicks in and says...hey, this is airbrushed...she spent a lot of money on the surface but still has issues on the inside.

When I see a photo like the one above...I am in awe...because I see more than the surface, more than the skin...more than the outside.  I see the inside...I see the beauty, the history...I can see the first chapter of the story.

No comments: