Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Thin Slicing



I am reading this fascinating book.  And although I am only a third of the way into the book I am blown away by the content.  I like Gladwell's way of writing, the information he gives is simple yet surprising...the kind of information that when you read it...you say..."get out, no way, shutup, not for real!"

The idea of thin slicing, that which occurs in the unconscious brain and moves us to certain actions or decisions, without any conscious thought...that which happens in the blink of an eye, is compelling.  Some of us are better at listening when the thin slicing occurs...some thin slicing is not positive.

For me...it is the kind of book I will not put down till I am done.  I know that thin slicing is strong in my family, boy that had a ring of star wars in it! LOL
This morning I was telling Greg about thin slicing...I was 23 years old working at my desk in the court house, I look up and there were 2 young men walking in together.  Both tall and fair. In the blink of an eye...I saw that guy.  Of the two, I knew "that" guy was going to ask me out.  Thin Slicing.  I didn't give the other guy a moments thought.  The thin slicing was so profound that I told the women seated next to me "that" guy is going to ask me out in the next 30 days...30 mintues later he asked me out...so I guess my thin slicing was not perfect.  But I was aware on an intuitive level that somehow he would change my life.  Now some people would look at this as a romantic story when in fact it was thin slicing. 

The new speed dating concept is based somewhat on thin slicing.  Can you in 3 mintues know if you want to spend some time with someone.  If you know what you need and want, are their subtle signs that are given off from another person, below the surface which hit your unconscious brain as the conscious brain is taking is the surface. 

I will talk more on this subject as I keep reading and learn more...May thin slicing be with you!

No comments: