Friday, November 6, 2009

That's Me In The Corner...


...that's me in the spotlight, losing my religion...that R.E.M. song is one of my favorites.  I have been doing a lot of soul searching about what skin I am the most confortable living in.  I have talked before about my childhood being raised by 2 extroverts.  Being an introvert was not a respected place to live in my family. 

To most people I am an extrovert.  I can talk to complete strangers.  I can move people to try things that are fun.  I appear to be a natural conversationalist.  But in reality I am an introvert.  Everytime I say it I get a thrill.  Because it feels right.

Given a big party and I will put forth all that is needed, but by the end I am exhausted.  I like more intimate gatherings with quiet coversation.  I love to talk to strangers, one on one...but talking in front of a large group, although I can easily perform...I am exhausted.

I have played the role of an extrovert so long that if I am with family or friends and I am quiet most are concerned that something is wrong.  In reality I am OK with being quiet.  In fact I need quiet.

Recently reading an article, "In Praise of Introverts" I had one aha moment after another.  I recognized myself and more importantly I was happy who I saw.

No comments: