Monday, November 9, 2009

E-Books


For my birthday this year Greg gave me an E-Book.  I had been researching the market trying to decide...realizing that I don't need one but do I want one?  

So the list began...I love to read...I love the written word...I love listening to book on CD...I just plain enjoy the way my brain is engaged as it is taking in new thoughts. The way the words tap into my emotions and the shear entertainment.  Over the years I have evolved as a reader.  Drowning myself in different genre, judging authors, loving some and discarding others.

Due to what I believe was my destiny because of the gene pool I swam out of...I can have several different books going at the same time.  Currently I am reading, Dean Kootnz's book about his own dog Trixie and  a book about Calla Lily Ponder.  In my sewing room I am listening to "Eat, Pray, Love"...in the kitchen "The Spectrum" and in the car "Atlas Shrugged."  This may make some people crazy but for me, it was the way I was brought up.  My dad was alway reading in the family room before anyone was awake and before the first light.  My mother, god bless her pee pickin heart will be found someday buried under the shear weight of all the reading material surrounding her bed and she has a small library filled with books that she has not been able to let go of.

So did I really need an E-reader?  I am a collector of books, I love the feel and smell of a new book.  I am also a regular patron of the library.  BUT...it is a fact that when traveling I have been known to lug several books, which is a weight issue.  And if overseas it can be difficult to find an english language book in a genre you would like to read.  In hotels, airports and train stations you will find discarded books as people leave behind a finished book.  More often than not it isn't one that I want to read.  For me, choosing a book to read requires knowing what frame of mind I am in at that moment, what I am eating and if I feel fictionie or non fictionie (not a real word).

This past Sunday the newpaper had an article on the holiday test of e-book sales. They said that the estimates of e-book sales account for only 1.5 percent of all books.  Which is higher than anticipated.  Paperback book sales has declined by 9% and hardback books12%.  With Amazon's release of the Kindle e-book, e-book purchases are the only area where there is any increase.

After discussion with a friend's daughter who did a paper on comparison of Amazon and Sony e-book I decided Sony was for me...then I found out I could get it in red!  And it is according to the article...sexy.  Yes, as quoted in the AP article..."a man sitting in a bar reading a book...looks lonely.  A man sitting is a bar reading an e-book makes the magic happen.  If you want to meet a girl, don't get a dog...get an e-reader."  Of course that doesn't nothing for me...but my red e-reader makes me smile, I carry several books in one small slimline cover, doesn't strain my eyes and makes me think it is so much like a real book page that I keep trying to turn the page in the traditional way. I use it when reading in bed because it is light weight and has a light, carry it when I have lots of appointments (I am not longer inpatient at the doctors office) and when I travel.  It is another alternative to an ever changing world.

No comments: