Sunday, August 23, 2009

Julie/Julia/Annie



OK, I know I am somewhat challenged in the cooking area...but I do make great granola and this year a stack of jam...but scones...%^*&


I have to say that if I had 5 people...yes 5...count them, sitting on my kitchen floor giving me a hand with my scones, they may have turned out!


I did buy organic mix scones but was stumped by the requirement of a pastry blender...what the hey is that? So I called my sister who is a premier baker that could make Julia weep in her grave. She described it and it sounded familiar but looking through the cavernous utensil drawer...which included a sushi tool, pizza cutter, rolling pin, various spatulas (I have a spatula fetish and still haven't found a favorite), turkey lifter (be you can't guess what that is), a mallet (looks like a murder weapon) ginger grater, 2 cheese graters, thongs, thermometer, apple corer, cherry pitter and a pile of odds and ends that really don't belong in there...but no pastry thing-a-ma-gig. She said I could us a spoon or fork.


Now you would think using a box mix there could be no failure. NOT. Although not as pretty as the ones my sister makes, they were lightly brown on the bottom and looked edible.


Fast forward to this morning. I serve up my scones to Greg and Connor...a little doughy you say? So what to do...what would any modern day cook do...I nuked them. Now I know that nuking something after baking really makes not sense but what really makes no sense is that after nuking they still tasted doughy, not dry and flaky like my sisters!


Although we all ate one, it was not satisfying...nor did it have the fabulous fresh baked taste. Greg suggested putting them back in the oven??? I decided that to make them flaky I would back them on my pizza tile...well...pizza-scones...both start with flour right?


Amazingly, although totally browned...they still tasted doughy...(*&^%


I'm gonna make me some granola so I can feel good today.

No comments: