Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Are You Being Served???


One of our all time favorite Brit Coms was "Are You Being Served" and "Are You Being Served, Again." The initial show centered on a group of employees at a upscale British clothing store. In the second series the group had retired and were living all together in a home left to them by the owner of the store when he died. It required this group of people to learn new skills, like cooking and farming.
I was thinking about this show after reading an article in today's paper titled, "$300,000 a year, but a precarious position." It was chronicling the hardship of the rich in the current economic climate. $500 a month for a gardener, nanny cost $40,000/yr and $75,000 a year in property tax...It seems everyone is feeling it and it is no less distressing for the wealthy than it is for the middle class. It is causing a change in choices, living outside the box so you won't have to live in a box. I have said it before, this downturn was a gift. In all it's stress and difficult choices, if you keep a open outlook you can recognize that the state you are in...is really of your own choice and making.
It has been a time where I have recognized my own...not so smart choices...and have been able to make better ones. I am glad that we did not have to keep up with the Jones' because our children have a better chance of living their lives by their own rules not what society thinks you should have. I was raised a Jones, lol but we lived within, if not below our means. Which has allowed us to weather these times.
I am no longer getting my hair done at my favorite place...because when it comes down to it...do I want to work more to have my hair done there...or do I want more time. Saving has become a religion and my collection box is secure.

No comments: