Thursday, August 20, 2009

In The Blink Of An Eye

In the blink of an eye your life can change. So I ask myself, if tomorrow my life ends up being totally different, what do I want today to be like? I think that a lot of us get caught up in the daily agenda, anger and worries but would we live today with a different outlook if we knew tomorrow may not happen?

I remember being told that no one shows up at the pearly gates saying, "boy, I wish I had worked more." "I wish I had spent more time cleaning my toilets!"

These muses have been a part of my process to decide how I want my life to be lived. There have been several people who I know that have had events in their life which made tomorrow totally different than today. When you go to the gym at 4:30 in the morning you get to know the other crazies who are there. A guy named Dave was driving along with his wife when a car coming in the opposite direction swerved into their lane (a dog jumped in the drivers lap) and they had a head on collision. Luckily, they both survived but not without a totalled truck, and two broken bodies that will require months if not years to recover from. Then last week another gym rat was riding his motorcycle with his wife and a car turned left across their path. Both are in critical condition.

A blink of an eye...life takes a turn. We all know people who's lives have changed dramatically from one day to the next. The question is can a person live their life with the agenda of moving through it as if today was "the day." We are human, but it might make us kinder, more present in the moment. As I hand watered the slope off my deck I would normally been rushing and plotting how to accomplish all that I want in this one day off. But, these thoughts made me slow down and enjoy the process of watering, knowing the plants will grow better for it and laughing as I bathed the squirrels.

Oh by the way, the photo in this blog...This is a picture taken by NASA with the Hubble telescope. They are referring to it as the "Eye of God".

No comments: