Tuesday, December 9, 2008

The Minority

I really like the movie called the Minority even though Tom Cruise is not on my favorite actor list. It speaks to the mentality of the majority who are afraid of the minority. The dictionary defines minority as follows:

1.
the smaller part or number; a number, part, or amount forming less than half of the whole.
2.
a smaller party or group opposed to a majority, as in voting or other action.
3.
a group differing, esp. in race, religion, or ethnic background, from the majority of a population: legislation aimed at providing equal rights for minorities

I was born a minority and learned minority skills, fly below the radar and excel. The thing about it is that minority as I knew it no longer exists. When my parents went to buy their first house, every head of household on the block had to sign a form that it was OK for us to buy the house, because we were minorities. Of course what is humorous is that the wives of these other households couldn't sign because they were minorities in their own homes. So, now who is the minority? Is it the Caucasian, gay, black, Muslim, or elderly...the list is unending and if we look at the list of all the "minorities" collectively, they make up the majority. The divisions are so complex that they take too much effort to maintain. Yet, there are people in this world who would like to think they are the majority and don't realize that in some way they are a minority.

Update on the Battle: The weight is in a downward motion and I hope to maintain my status as a minority, in that I have lost a large amount of weight through my own grit and plan on continuing my minority status...although in this case I hope all who struggle can join my minority status and become the majority.

No comments: