Thursday, December 11, 2008

Breastfeeding...Is It Any Different Than Nursing???

Yesterday one of my co-workers was saying that she is no longer going to babysit doctors...she was done and they all needed to be burped. My question is how can we as nurses do this when our career is the practice of nursing???

When you check out the dictionary and look up nursing this is what you get...

1. a person formally educated and trained in the care of the sick or infirm.
2. a woman who has the general care of a child or children; dry nurse.
3. a woman employed to suckle an infant; wet nurse.

So when the first woman took a step into medical care they did not call her "Executive Health Care Practitioner." They called her a nurse, because in the beginning the expectation was that we would suckle the patient, the doctor and any one else who needed nursing. With progress came educational expectations, so the title changed to Registered Nurse. Which just means those breasts are licensed, but the demands are the same.

I am not sure what the answer to the dilemma each nurse is faced with, but what I do know is my breasts are sagging, I weaned the last baby 20 years ago and I refuse to nurse a 30+year old doctor who need suckling.

No comments: