Monday, December 8, 2008

Andrew Martin Huston

Andy was the first male who loved me without reservation. No hidden motives, just pure and simple adoration. I was 14 years old and he was about 8 years old. Although I didn't appreciate this uncomplicated dedication at the time it did seem in an unconscious way to have an impact on subsequent relationships. As I continued to grow up and test the romance waters I never settled for less than 100% commitment and so was in an out of relationships always on my terms until I met my husband. He was the second male that I recognized as one who had the depth of love I wanted in my life.

But back to the first...Andy was the little brother of my best friend Colleen. I spent most of my after school times at their house since it was close to our high school. Andy was different even as a kid. He wasn't irritating in the way most little brothers are, he was irritating because he just had so much love in his heart and he needed to share that love. He was always hanging on my arm telling me he loved me. At 14 I didn't appreciate how rare people like Andy were and it took me till I was 23 to meet another one. As a little kid Andy wrote the most interesting short stories and I knew even at the "self centered kind of oblivious to others state" that only 14 year old girls inhabit, that he was destined to impact the world in a very different way.

After Andy and Colleen's father passed away they moved and although Colleen and I have remained "Forever Friends" the next time I saw Andy he was an adult. The years may have been rough for that little boy but the last time I saw him was when he was 40 yrs. old I could still see that through it all he kept his ability to love. So when Colleen shared with me an article written about him and his theater it did not surprise me that he had touched so many other people in his life.

When we leave this world we want to know that somehow our life had meaning that we put our little stamp on our piece of the universe. What I know is that Andy did just that and although at 49 it seems to early to leave, it was just about all Andy needed this time around.

No comments: