Friday, December 26, 2008

#2, A First

I felt the need to post a second blog today. OK, today was one of those "come to Jesus" moments. I have shopped the day after Christmas sales for years, putting up with the traffic, looking for a parking space and standing in long check out lines. In the past it was fun to shop with the same feverishness of my fellow shoppers. In the last 5 years I gave up the ritual. I no longer thought the money saved was worth the agony, nor did I need another blessed thing!

So, today after a 5 year hiatus I ventured out with Greg to Sportsman's Warehouse. Thinking it would be the one place I would even attempt to go into the day after. We arrived 5 minutes before the opening time of 8 am and the parking lot was empty. Since we were there, I had him drop me off at Target so I could pick up a few items we needed. I was stunned...now, I know the big box stores opened anywhere from 5:30-6:00 am and it was 8:00 but the parking lot was virtually empty. There were more employees working than customers! I felt a desire to check out another store..Macy's...same thing, more employees than customers. When we did go to Sportsman's, there was a total of 4 cars in the parking lot. For the first time this holiday season I felt an inkling of sadness. The world had definitely changed in 2008. So, for 2009 I plan on moving forward. It is even more important for all of us to keep moving towards our goals. Because after what I saw today it is going to take a lot of diligence, planning and work for all of us. I for one am up to the task.

No comments: