Sunday, December 7, 2008

Are We Really More Advanced Than Our Primate Cousins?

I like to think that I am smarter than my chimp cousin but yesterday as I was sitting in a Baskin Robbins (no I did not have any ice cream) where I had bought a scoop of ice cream for my mom, I was looking across the street and there was a young couple huddled in a doorway. The woman was standing while the man sat and she was looking at his scalp. She kept spreading his hair looking for who knows what...ewwww. But it was so reminiscent of a National Geographic special on chimps and the grooming that is done amongst the group that it made me smile but to see my human counter part participating in the grooming process made me sad....because some of us have not progressed very far. How did they end up grooming on the street??? Was it a stroke of bad luck???

I believe so much of what happens to us is because of our choices. There are a lot of people who spend a lot of time giving up their free will to their history. Sure, I carry pain and could whine for days about what was inflicted upon me but I have a choice to move forward, I have a choice on how to spend my money, I have a choice on what to eat and I have a choice on who I let into my heart...so my life is not about luck but is the result of the choices I made both good and bad.

The bottom line is I do not spend time wishing for a different childhood, no regrets about my choices or my parents choices, because at this moment I love my life, I love my husband, I love my children, I love who my children love, I love my home and all of this is resultant of the pain, mistakes, good and bad choices I made and to change one thing would somehow change this moment in time and too dwell on what could have been would make me miss the next great moment.

No comments: