Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Connect The Dots...

Times are tough for everyone but I refuse to go down without a fight. I mean a fight to save the life I have built, in a town I have come to love. When Greg first wanted to move to Bend I refused. It was a depressing town with shops boarded up and little to offer, except for the people and the view. Over time it has developed a character that is warm, fun and surprising. Sure we have made some development mistakes and sure the huge influx brought in people who didn't understand that the deer were here first or that the native Oregonian is a good neighbor, and that guns do exist in this part of the country as a way of life. But I love this town and the character that exist. So what can I do to contribute to it's survival. By investing my money in the places I love.

I have never been an impulsive shopper, I tend more towards saving up and getting exactly what I want. I do not short change my taste but would rather go without than buy for buying sake. So, how can I spend while still maintaining financially stability? Like I always have...saving and when I chose to spend making sure I have saved enough to buy local. There is no way a local shop can sell things for the same price as the big box store. They cannot get the discount of bulk purchase. So, do I go to the big box to save money that will go outside my community or should I save a little more, spend a little less so I can afford to support a local shop. A local shop owner is spending a portion of his earning locally because he lives here....it is connect the dot time.

I am not a purest, you will find me shopping in Macy's on sale day, Barnes and Noble or Costco but I am trying to shop more local so I can in my own way support the character of the town and hopefully we will all survive these tough times.

Here is a list of some of my favorite places:

El Caporal East
Miranda's
Newport Market
Natures
Kitchen Connection
Paper Jazz
Goodies
Takara
Camalli's bookstore
Harvest Bakery
Zante's
Wild Bird Store
Foot Zone
McKay's Cottage
BiMart

PS. The colors of the sunrise this morning was absolutely stunning...reminds me of watching it at the end of night shift with Dr. Brown.

No comments: