Saturday, November 15, 2008

Sleeping In

Most of my family would say I don't even know what this means but I do sleep in....it just that sleeping in for me means I slept till 6:00 am. After all I get up every morning at 4:00 am to make it to the gym by the time it opens at 4:30 am. I am an early riser, was born and raised to this status. When my sister and I (we shared a bed) would try and sleep in my dad would come in and pick up one end of the mattress and roll us off the bed. My mother's mantra was "the early bird gets the worm." I don't know if I got the worm but I grew up with the need to rise early. My day is long and I do have time to get more packed in to it...which can make me tired and long for the ability to sleep in.

What a weird circle....but I do get regular exercise and I do get to see shooting stars, beautiful sun rises...I mean the kind that crayola has yet to duplicate the color. I see other hearty souls and feel a kindred spirit with them, especially the other gym rats who are waiting for the door to open at 4:30 am

Hitting my 50's it does take more effort to keep this schedule but this lifestyle has made the most wonderful thing evolve and that is sleeping in on the weekends to at least 6:30 and sometimes 7:30. It has created a ritual of breakfast in bed with the morning paper which DH and I alternate creating. Now I wait anxiously for the weekend morning and I am frustrated if somehow our schedule is interrupted and there is no breakfast in bed.

So as usual for women I am trying to keep a fine balance, have cake and eat it too and god forbid...be the early bird and not the worm.

No comments: