Monday, November 10, 2008

Pay Attention

I tend to keep my eyes focused on my own life...full speed ahead. Between work, family, friend, exercise and a dose of hobby thrown in the mix leaves little time to actually take in additional information. But we are not solitary creatures and although we would like to believe we are insulated in our own little world what goes on outside the front door does impact our life.

Although economically I am sound...both DH and I have good careers, we have always been conservative in our spending and our family unit has remained intact. We are affected by all that goes on around us. This has caused an automatic shift without any planning in our spending. Fear can be contagious. I am cutting coupons...go figure...but only for the items I would normally buy. I am listening to the economic suggestions of the all knowing financial experts. Only buying on sale. We go out less. But a lot of the suggestions are ones we have always lived by. We both have always packed our lunch. I own 2 very cool lunch boxes depending on my mood before it was cool to have a beautiful lunch box. We go to the cheap movies or watch Netflix. We dine out at Happy Hour when the menu is more reasonable. And we don't take vacation unless we can pay up front. These simple lifestyle choices have made our life less fearful but it does not keep me from feeling the fear.

Case in Point.

Yesterday I saw a man who was sitting on the tail gate of his late model car in a parking lot with his possession spread out in front of him for sale...vacuum, stereo, electronic equipment....I thought about him all day. Life can through you a curve ball no matter how much you have practiced to hit it back. Choices boy they are hard sometimes.

No comments: