Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Get Ready it's Almost Here!

It is the holiday that Hollywood makes movies about, the one where every one gets together and you can feel the love rising in the heat off the turkey. I spent years dreaming of that table in the Norman Rockwell painting where the multi generational family is seated around the absolutely beautiful Martha Stewart turkey (did you notice how I named dropped my new girlfriend!)

It never happened at my house. First of all our table was filled with immigrants. So our table not only had a dried out turkey because my mother was raised eating fish but also included kim chee, fish, seaweed...of course my dad being Caucasian had to have the regulars so my mother made Elmer's glue mashed potatoes, dried turkey and all the other side dishes. From a young child's perspective it was all exciting. As I grew older I noticed that my family didn't watch football, our entertainment was of the Holly Hunter variety...it was the beginning of the season to air all your grievances against anyone sitting at the table....oh yeah...they were captured by the intent of a perfect holiday but it was actually a time to get together and express yourself.

So for me Thanksgiving came to be a day where you turned on the Thanksgiving Day Parade to drown out the conversation and you ate until you lost your hearing. It is a difficult holiday because you have gotten to lighten the emotional load but you only had so many days to make up for your "High Speed Come Apart" before Christmas so you'd get presents.

I know the Thanksgiving of my youth was not uncommon, otherwise Hollywood wouldn't be making movies on the subject. I do have fond memories that included the multicultural aspects of my life and they always bring warm memories of my dad, who passed on to me the love of all things holiday.

Update Battle of the Bulge: I feel a little lighter today, I didn't have any vertigo at work (major plus) and I think my boobs look smaller today.

No comments: