Monday, November 17, 2008

Oh Pleeeze Say It's Not So!

I had a patient last week, 78 yr. old female who in the process of gathering health history for an upcoming surgery told me she was worried about her children! I gasped and said, "say it's not so...that I never get to give up this worry!?" She said in all her years of wisdom and Yoda like knowledge....HECK NO! So I asked, "How old is your son?" "51!!!!!!!"

Pleeeeze say it's not so! I then proceeded to grill her on why she is worried about her 51 year old and the conversation snaked it's way to the economy and although college educated and well employed he is in a profession that is feeling the hurt...like which one isn't. Then she told me she also worries about all her grandchildren....oh crap...I forgot about those like nuggets to worry about. By the time I was done, she felt better but I felt worse! Because again I am faced with the realization that you never give up the parent card...that is if you love your kids.

Sure there are those sperm and egg donors who are able to kick the little sh@#$'s out of the house without a look back but I personally don't know any of them. All of my friends in their 50's stay up worrying about their children. And my own dear sister has added a grandchild to the worry list.

So is it worth it....for sure! Instead of wishing I never had children so I could spare myself the worry I take stress management classes, exercise, tweak my diet and write in my blog because my children bring me more joy and worry and I love every Mr. Toad's Wild Ride aspect of our lives.

Which brings me back to the joke I told the patient about the news journalist interviewing 100 old people and asking them their number 1 worry in life being a 100 yrs. old. It wasn't "what was for dessert", it wasn't "did anyone hear that fart" and it wasn't "will I have to vote in the next presidential election" but in fact their number one worry in life at 100 years old was their 80 year old children!

No comments: