Tuesday, July 14, 2009

What If???

I am a collector of children's books. I love the unusual thoughts, the beautiful graphic/artwork and the wonderful way children's book authors weave the story.

One of my favorites is "What If?" It has the most beautiful art work but it is the message that speaks to me. Why? Because if I let my mind idle, I can move to the What ifs. I was raised a worrier. My parents tried to protect me from pain, as was their duty...but...sometimes the way this comes across is worry. My dad worried a lot. Whether it was the economy, racism or putting food on the table, he worried. My mom worried about my dad. I used to spend more time worrying, but as I have aged there has come the wisdom that most of what we worry about is not in our control. No matter how hard you try or are able to control a situation, it is just an illusion. How do you know? Because the worry didn't go away...which means you really are not as in control of the situation as you think.

I only control this moment, this body (most of the time) and this heart. So, I continue on my journey to enjoy my loved ones and believe whether I worry or not they will make good choices for their lives.

No comments: