Monday, July 6, 2009

Earl Eugene Bates & Herbert Hayward Jones

I was sparked yesterday with thoughts of my father-in-law and my father when I saw 2 women in Sisters who were weaving and spinning on a porch. How unusual that both Greg and I were blessed to be the children of very unusual men.

Although very different than each other, both were extraordinary men. The coming together of Greg and I has resulted in two fascinating sons.

My father-in-law was a quiet man, my father was a gregarious man.

My father-in-law worked producing the printed word, my father was a voracious reader...waking before 4 am each morning so he could have several hours of reading before work

My father-in-law was a pioneer...a Renaissance man. He loved the woods, where back in the day when you usually heated your home with wood...he would be sure to have his 4 cords cut, stacked and ready for the winter cold. He loved trying new things, like wood stove cooking and making his own jam. He learned to spin wool and going out into nature to gather plants so he could dye the wool natural colors. He taught himself to weave and won many a ribbon at the county fair. When he developed cancer and was relegated to a bed, he taught himself to crochet and made blankets. He made a quilt which was used to thread bare by his grandson. I never think of him without a warm feeling in my heart.

My father was a pioneer in his family of the ADD type. He worked several jobs at the same time, believing in the responsibility of taking care of your own. He read books that were informative and cutting edge. He would try and get me to bend spoons with the power of my mind! LOL He loved the ocean and in the early days when we couldn't afford groceries, we would fish all weekend. To this day falling asleep with the ocean sounds and smells is better than any tonic. He was self school in selling, photography, building, moving and shaking. He was the life of the party and sought after for counsel because of his open mind and open heart. Life was his platter, he never balked at his responsibility to family, encouraging us to know the joys of hard work and to celebrate not only our own but the successes of our loved ones....to also have a shoulder for each other. I never think of him without a warm feeling in my heart.

No comments: