Tuesday, April 7, 2009

True Enough

I am reading a fascinating book titled, "True Enough:Learning To Live In A Post Fact Society." Basically with the deluge of information coming from a million origins, very little of it is die hard fact. In fact a majority of information we hear has treads of truth woven with a bunch of opinions and total falsehoods.

Even in our little community we have persistent truthisms that do not seem to die...such as who funds the round a bout art. There are still people who believe that the city is spending our tax money. No matter how many times it is explained to us there are some who let their blood pressure go up because they continue to ignore the facts but choose to believe the story.

The web is filled with people who still believe we did not land on the moon, that Osama Bin Ladin had weapons of mass destruction and handing out birth control to high school kids will cause pregnancy....

We really don't want the truth, we want the information that is going to line up with our own particular fundamental beliefs. Whether it be politics, religion, the economy or the boss...we read and talk about only the information that lines up with what we want it to be.

I have succumbed to this process myself...as much as I am a skeptic the path of least resistance is the one that tells you what you want to hear. But, my little skeptic voice inside my brain will not allow me to stay there long...I walk with my eyes, ears, and brain wide open and I am not going to believe everything I hear...including that the economy will turn around this year...

No comments: