Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Never Waste A Crisis Or Become A Frugalista

It is humbling that as much as I have dissed my mother's frugal ways in the past that several times lately I could have sworn she has possessed my body! I found myself reusing a plastic sandwich baggy the other day...after all I only had a hand full of granola in it and it came clean with a couple of shakes! Also I have found a cupboard where I have been saving glass jars, I don't remember washing them but they have taken over the cupboard.

Millions of people are being forced to trim their expenses but what social scientist have noticed it that even the ones who don't need to trim are trimming. I myself cut up all my credit cards last year and I swear if I could get Clyde Purcell to let me grow some veggies in a green house next to the 5th tee, I would be in heaven.

Now the new chic is being cheap...and proud of it! Of course it was 2 years ago that I made 60 cloth napkins out of my fabric stash (I suffer from STABLE, stash beyond life expectancy). Now I would like to say I made those napkins 2 years ago because I saw the bubble about to burst, but in reality I wanted to decrease my old stash of fabrics so I could buy a new one.

I have trimmed the fat (not physically) around here but the fact of the matter is we live in a schizo society. If every one did this, including those who could afford anything they wanted, the economy would tank. Our economy is based on spending. Finding that right balance where you spend but it won't cause you to lose your house if challenging.

As for me, I continue to practice, practice, practice but in between I will reuse my sandwich baggies as long as they are clean....I refuse to actually wash them out and have them sitting all over my counter drying...like my mom...bless her cheap, cheap heart. After all I am lucky to have a mom like her.

No comments: