Sunday, April 12, 2009

To Give Is Really To Receive More

It is amazing how life will present you with an opportunity and only if you are quick on your feet can you reap reward. April is a hard month for every one whether you have to pay taxes or not, you still have to file. This year Greg and I decided to cut back on our daily living and pay our taxes without withdrawing from our savings. This has meant tight purse strings.

So I go into Albertson's to purchase an individual sized carton of milk for a cake I am taking to Easter Brunch and a bag of apples and pears to dry. I choose a carry cart so I won't be tempted to just pick up a few more things. The store is packed, so after getting my 3 things I stand in line behind a woman who looks to be in her 30's. She has a 2-3 yr old in a carry pack on her back and a son about 8 beside her. As I wait for her to finish checking out her 4 items I am literally daydreaming about people and wondering how people would respond if the person behind you paid for your groceries. Next thing....I hear her pushing aside her carton of milk and eggs telling the clerk she forgot her food card and can only afford the other 2 items. I immediately said, I'll pay for them. Both she and the clerk looked at me. She said, really??? I said you don't want to have to come back with the kids for 2 items...I'll pay for them. She thanked me profusely and left. Now I am feeling a slight glow of having helped someone and the young clerk told me I did a really nice thing and to which I replied that we have to play it forward when we can.

Now you think that this is the story and how great it is of me to extend myself...nice to give...but it is I who received the gift. After I walked out to my car got in and told a waiting Greg that I have a story to tell him. The woman runs up to my window with her daughter on her back and helmeted son riding his bike and says thank you again. She said, it has been amazing to her the gifts that have come into her life lately...that her husband had just shipped out to Iraq and she is truly thankful for my kindness...and as they went away the boy said Happy Easter. Now you tell me...who received a gift...I was teary and thankful after this encounter.

No comments: